We accept fiction, non-fiction, memoir, poetry, and book reviews year-round. Graphic fiction/non-fiction also welcome, but it must fit on a postcard. We publish only 1 piece in print form each month– we publish 1-4 pieces in our online issue.
We accept work on a rolling basis–you can expect to hear from us within a month to six weeks. We do pay for all published pieces (more details on this below).
- ALL PROSE: <150 words. We’re not going to count them, but…we mean it.
- ALL POETRY: <10 lines (if it’s more, be open to “creative reformatting”), but still <150 words. Remember, it has to fit on a postcard!
- BOOK REVIEWS: These will be published online, or on the back of a postcard when possible. Still <150 words. Must be of a recently published book (within the last year). The book must be published by an independent or small press. You are welcome to query before submitting if you would like our feedback on the book you are reviewing. If you would like your book reviewed by us, please send a query letter to email@example.com.
You may submit as many works as you like. All work must be previously unpublished. Simultaneous submissions are, of course, allowed–but please let us know if your work is placed elsewhere.
We will read all types of work. However, we especially like work that is audacious, surprising and zesty. Furthermore, we want this postcard to be shareable. Work that’s about the depressingness of gloomy alcohol clinking on the bottom of a shadowy glass in the gloaming after a father’s death wouldn’t work as well hanging from a fridge or tucked playfully in someone’s lunchbag. As you’re submitting, remember the Refrigerator Rule. Ask yourself: “Would someone want this hanging on their fridge?”
That said, if you’ve got some melancholy work that is surprising and zesty and GOOD then we would be very excited to check it out.
Costs & Payment:
To use our online submission manager, it costs $2 to submit up to two pieces of work. We also accept submissions by regular mail, for no fee.
If you are submitting online, please submit either one or two pieces, for two dollars (PLEASE KEEP YOUR TWO PIECES IN THE SAME WORD DOCUMENT!). If you are submitting by mail, you must include a SASE for a response.
We, of course, encourage you to submit online, as the $2 helps us pay our authors (which we think they deserve, see below for more details). But we understand that writing is hard, and doesn’t pay much, so feel free to submit the regular old way as well.
Please note: We NEVER solicit work — and we read all of our submissions blindly (we don’t look at cover letters until we decide to accept/reject). Every submission we receive is given the same consideration, and is read by at least two, but up to four people.
It is sort of like we hold a mini-contest every month (but it’s not exactly a contest, as our submissions are rolling). The author we publish receives 30% of all the submission money for that month, from the 20th of the month two months prior publication*, to the 20th of the month one month prior (guaranteed minimum of $10!), along with five copies of that month’s issue. *this means, if we publish you in October, you get 30% of the money we received between August 20th and September 20th.
You may submit as many pieces as you like, but you will need to pay the $2 submission fee for every two submissions – or, if you submit by mail, you must mail every two pieces separately, with their own return envelope.
- You have to be okay with having your work ‘creatively’ formatted—so that it will both look cool and fit on a postcard. Which means—we might paint the words on some wood and photograph them, or photo-edit the words onto an interesting-yet-appropriate thing, like a medicine bottle label, or a paper napkin, etc. Do not submit your work if you are not okay with this.
- Finally, get your friends to submit too! The more people that submit, the more “Prize Money” is available for the authors we publish.
Ready to Submit?
or mail to
HOOT – Amanda Vacharat/Dorian Geisler
1413 Academy Lane
Elkins Park, PA 19027
We also always welcome friendly postcards.
Submissions for Online Publication:
We also accept submissions for consideration for publication on our website only. There is no charge to submit online for these submissions, but we cannot pay the published authors, either. All submissions for our PRINT version (above) will automatically be considered for publication on our website.
All guidelines remain the same (<150 words, see above). To submit your work for online publication only, send an email to “firstname.lastname@example.org.” Please limit your submissions to two pieces each month.
If you are interested in having your art/photography used on our postcards, or if you would like to design a postcard for us, please contact us at email@example.com. We cannot pay you, but we also won’t charge you to submit. We will put your name on everything.